6th of March – Champions League Double
I’ve picked out some fantastic selections across the two big games this evening. I’ve also written up my findings and thoughts on each game which show why I’ve taken the selections I have. Have a read of those below before backing the bet.
Man City v Borussia Dortmund
· Here we go then, its Champions League quarter-finals time and we have a couple of cracking fixtures awaiting us tonight with both involving English sides. I thought I would put together a UCL double across both fixtures to add a bit of an extra excitement to what should be a wonderful evening of football.
· We start at the Etihad where Man City host Dortmund in what I expect to be an enthralling encounter with goals aplenty. Dortmund simply don’t do boring games and have seen over 2.5 goals feature in 20/27 (74%) of their Bundesliga games this season. I don’t see 3+ goals causing us any problems here given the forward talent on show.
· Many are tipping tonight’s game as a dress rehearsal for Haaland with City one of the favourites to sign him in this upcoming window. The Norwegian rarely fails to impress and I expect the striker to be heavily involved in the action tonight.
· He has 33 goals in 32 apps this season, including 10 goals in 6 Champions league appearances and is quite frankly a remarkable player. He averages a little under 2 shots on target per 90 minutes for Dortmund this season and I fully expect him to get at least one on target for us tonight.
· As for City, well in reality they should dominate much of the game and I expect them to qualify for the Semi-finals with relative ease. I make them favourites for this seasons competition and a Dortmund side who are currently ranked 5th in the Bundesliga shouldn’t have enough to stop them.
· As for a shot on target, well Raheem Sterling is the one who sticks out for me this evening. He averages over 1 shot on target per 90 minutes this season and also regularly completes 90 minutes which is a rarity for any player under Guardiola.
· He will look to capitalise on a vulnerable Dortmund backline suffering from a number of defensive deficiencies. German sources are tipping former Liverpool midfielder Emre Can to start at right back directly against Sterling and I expect the England international to come out on top.
Real Madrid v Liverpool
· In the other tie of the evening we head to Madrid where two of the competitions most successful teams clash horn this evening in another potentially mouth-watering contest.
· The last two times these sides played was the 2018 final in which Madrid ran out 3-1 winners in a controversial encounter and there is certainly no love lost between the two sides.
· I expect some gamesmanship from Real who are renowned for using some dirty tricks come this stage of the season. Given the magnitude of the tie and with players like Casemiro within their ranks I suspect a couple of cards won’t be too much to ask for here.
· Liverpool following a real dip of form around the turn of the year have looked rejuvenated and reenergised in recent weeks. The return of Fabinho to his more natural midfield position has worked wonders and the team look a different animal.
· Tough game to call but the result is irrelevant for us tonight. I suspect goals in this one given the forward players on show with the likes of Salah, Jota, Mane and of course Benzema all tipped to start.
· As for shots on target well there are two candidates that really stick out in this one. For Liverpool it is of course Mo Salah.
· The Egyptian is the clubs top scorer with 26 goals to his name this season and will be relishing of running at one of Marcelo or Mendy this evening who are traditionally attack-minded wingbacks.
· For Real there is really only one player to look to in attack and that is of course Karim Benzema. The Frenchmen is finally getting the recognition his talents deserve following the departure of Ronaldo and Bale and he will lead the line foe Madrid tonight.
· He has 24 goals to his name and has comfortably been the standout attacking player for Real this season. Madrid are actually very reliant on him when it comes to goals with him having contributed to 35% of their league goals this season.
· He is the only real goal scoring threat for Madrid and Zidane consistently looks to him to provide the goals. In the absence of the injured Sergio Ramos he will be on penalties to further increase his opportunities for shots on target tonight.
· He averages a touch under 2 shots on target per game. with over 4 shots attempted per 90 which shows Madrids reliance on him to be the man to score the goals. In the absence of any other experienced attackers tonight I think he will once more be the focal point of everything Madrid do from an attacking sense. He looks good value to get a couple on target this evening.
18+, Please Gamble Responsibly