16th of February, 9/1 Champions League Special
The Championsssss! Finally, the Champions League is back! Two cracking matches on Tuesday night too, I’ve gone for a ‘shot on target’ special. You can load it by clicking here.
I’ve requested the bet over on Betfair. If you sign up here, you’ll be able to back it and you’ll also get a £20 risk free bet to use on it! That’s a risk free shot at winning £200.
- Join Betfair so you can place your first bet risk free.
- Deposit and place £20 on my special
- If it wins, you win £200. If it loses, get your money back!
Check out my research behind each pick, I think you’ll agree it looks great for the price.
This is the highest odds selection of the bet and probably the one that would incur the most questions. I think though that the Spaniard provides excellent value, here’s why:
- Angelino is in fact the join top scorer for Leipzig this season and he’s netted 3 times in the UCL, he’s the only player in the squad to have scored more than once in the competition
- He averages 1.6 shots per game, the same number as striker Youssef Poulsen and just 0.1 behind Norwegian forward Alexander Sorloth
- He’s also a free kick taker, largely I think Dani Olmo will be tasked with taking those but Angelino provides a left footed option
- With Leipzig operating a 3-5-2 system as mentioned, Angelino takes up a left wing back role but in all honestly it’s closer to a left winger
- If anyone saw the game against United way back when, he was constantly joining attacks and playing more like a forward, he had several early opportunities that night too
- There’s no lie in saying Trent is prone to a defensive lapse, also his attacking mindset will leave space for Angelino to attack so he should have the openings to get this shot on target
Maybe a slightly unorthodox pick this one but as you can see I think it’s got an real chance and if we get a nice open game the Spaniard should have ample opportunity to do his part.
Off to Budapest next as Leipzig and Liverpool meet in another mouth watering Champions League encounter.
- Firmino definitely divides opinion, but one things for sure he’s always a solid pick for a shot on target
- Behind Salah and Mane he’s got the most goals and averages the highest number of shots per game in the Liverpool squad
- At 2.4 per game, he’s always involved in the action going forward and always had the opportunity to utilise the space opened up my those terrific wide players
- With the overlaps from fullbacks too, there’s countless opportunities for Firmino to latch on to balls in to the box
- With Leipzig operating a 3-5-2 system there’s a chance for both sides to get space in wide areas
- If Robertson and Trent can make their usual forays forward there should be chances for Firmino
- There’s very little value in the likes of Salah and Mane and Liverpool don’t tend to rack up many shots from range
- Only Thiago and Trent of the predicted starting 11 average 1+ shots per game so Firmino looks the perfect choice
I’m sure you can all see the sense in picking Firmino anyway, but I’m always delving in to the stats regardless and I’m even more confident after doing so.
My second pick from the Camp Nou here and it’s one for the visitors. With some missing men in attack, it’ll be down to the enigmatic Mauro Icardi to lead the line.
- Icardi is an absolute poacher, one of few traditional centre forwards in the modern game
- Behind Neymar and Mbappe, the Argentine averages the highest number of shots per game in the PSG squad
- At 2.6 per game, it speaks volumes about the amount of chances that are created for PSG’s front line
- Neymar and Mbappe both run with the ball and hit shots from range, Icardi is much more inclined to stick within the width of the posts
- It’s no secret that defensively, Barcelona have been shocking at times this season
- With such experience you’ve got to fancy Icardi to cause some problems here against a frail backline
- It’s touch and go whether Pique plays, if he doesn’t then Frenkie De Jong will likely have to start at centre back
- Icardi is pretty handy in the air too, if Pique doesn’t make it then that could be an even further boost to this selection
As I said in the previous write up, I’ve got high hopes for this game. Icardi will be the focal point for the Parisians in the absence of Neymar and there’s a huge chance for him to step up. I can’t see a shot on target being an issue.
Both games look full of goals this evening but I’d say this one edges it for me. I’m expecting a wide open contest with plenty of action.
- Griezmann will likely start on the left hand side as part of a front 3 with Lionel Messi and Ousmane Dembele
- With Messi floating to pick up the ball and find space, Griezmann will likely see opportunities both in and outside of the area
- He’s never shy of a shot from distance and when Messi is drifting out wide to collect the ball we’ll see him making angled runs in to the box where he could easily get an attempt on goal
- Only Messi himself averages more shots on goal in this Barcelona side than Griezmann
- The Frenchman averages 2.3 shots per game and is Barcelona’s second top scorer
- He also wins more aerial battles than any other forward in the Barca ranks, with Messi and Dembele both possessing quality deliveries he may try and anchor himself to Florenzi for those in swinging crosses
- With Neymar and Di Maria out it looks likely that Moise Kean will play on the right hand side
- This isn’t his natural position and he’s not exactly got much of a defensive work rate, this could open up considerable options down that flank
As I say, we’re all expecting a bit of a classic here. Griezmann will no doubt be in the thick of the action and keen to make some headlines. He’s a solid pick in a game full of talented players.
18+, Please Gamble Responsibly
Stake responsibly if you’re getting involved. You’ll be able to keep it fun by only placing what you can afford to lose.